Sunday, September 30, 2007

Accessible version of the Web Suite impresses

AOL tries hard to offer mail products that can be beneficial to the majority of the online users and one of the groups that is not forgotten is our visually impaired group. The Basic version of the Web Suite (aka Accessible Version) helps visually impaired users by being screen reader friendly with a robust set of keyboard shortcuts. A few months ago, I blogged about some of the most common shortcuts (email me if you’d like the full list—too long to post here).

Anyways, even more accessibility improvements are slated for inclusion next month but I wanted to share with you what one major organization had to say about the new Accessible Version of the Web Suite. Curtis Chong is the President of the National Federation of the Blind in Computer Science and is a recognized expert on accessible technology. Here’s what he wrote to AOL:

“I must say that I am quite impressed with the work that has clearly been done to create the accessible Web-based AOL mail interface. After I played around with it a bit, I found that the keyboard shortcuts do work if you give them a chance to do so .

I admit that I have spent perhaps two hours working on this, but so far, I can find very little to criticize and much to be glad about. My instincts tell me that a lot of thought and work went into the design of the accessible interface. The design clearly demonstrates a strong understanding of how screen-access programs for the blind work, knowledge of the shortcuts they use to facilitate efficient navigation of Web pages, and a practical understanding of what blind people need and want in an e-mail system. I'm hard to impress, but I will tell you that this has impressed me.

Cordially,
Curtis Chong”

We hope our visually impaired friends are enjoying the new Basic Version of the Web Suite.

Thank you all for choosing AOL.

Tae Kang
“The AOL Mail Blog Guy”
http://mailblog.aol.com
Keyword: mail blog

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very useful information, your information is really very usefol for AOL Customers. If you need further support from skilled AOL technician, then Contact AOL Desktop gold Support number +1-844-443-3244.
Download AOL Gold
Install AOL Gold
Install AOL Desktop Gold
AOL Desktop Gold Software
AOL Download